With just a few fresh ingredients, this Cucumber Onion Salad will quickly become a go-to for summer picnics and BBQs. Everyone will love this summer salad recipe.
Table of contents
When it comes to healthy and easy summer recipes, you really can't do better than this quick cucumber salad.
Almost all of the ingredients are fresh from the garden and topped vinegar and subtle seasonings. This makes a great addition to summer BBQs, especially when most side dishes are focused on pasta and potatoes. It would also be a great side for Instant Pot Goulash.
Why You'll Love This Salad
- It's a light, healthy side dish
- A little sweet, a little tangy and full of flavors
- Uses just a handful of fresh ingredients
- Comes together in minutes
- Perfect for summer potlucks
What You'll Need
This quick cucumber salad tastes even better when you're able to use garden fresh ingredients!
- English cucumbers
- Red onion
- Chopped dill
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
How To Make Cucumber Onion Salad
This seriously could not get any easier!
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Refrigerate for an hour prior to serving.
Tips To Making Cucumber Onion Salad
- If you can't find English cucumbers, you can use regular salad cucumbers. Just take the peel off, as it tends to be tough.
- Apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, and rice vinegar all work in this recipe. Rice vinegar is the least tangy of the options.
- If you prefer tangy over sweet, you can omit the sugar in the recipe.
Wondering how to serve this cucumber vinegar salad? Here are a few ideas:
- As a side dish to grilled chicken, pork, or steak
- Atop a burger or hot dog
- Add it to your sandwich or wrap
- Just enjoy a bowl of salad as an appetizer
English cucumbers are also known as European or seedless cucumbers. They're the ones you find at the store tightly wrapped in plastic, due to their thin skin. The seeds are much smaller than in a traditional cucumber.
Since this is made with a vinegar base, it will last in the fridge for several days. I would enjoy it within 5 days, before the cucumbers and onions become too soft. It really depends on taste.
Cucumbers are a fruit! They may be used in the kitchen like a vegetable but they grow from seeds and flowers. They're similar to tomatoes in being used as a vegetable while technically being a fruit.