Sharing is caring!
Ready for an easy cheesy chicken and rice Crockpot dinner recipe? This Crockpot Chicken and Rice Crockpot recipe will quickly become one of your favorite slow cooker family meals.
Table of contents
- Can You Put Raw Chicken in a Crock-Pot?
- How To Make Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- What To Serve With Chicken And Rice
- Alternative to Greek Yogurt
- Can You Leave Cheese Out Of Recipe
- Can you cook raw chicken and rice together?
- Why Use Brown Rice In Casserole
- ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
If you're looking for kid-friendly crock pot meals, be sure to add this slow cooker rice and chicken recipe to your meal plan.
Whip up this easy crockpot chicken dinner tonight. It will quickly become one of your favorite slow cooker recipes. It's at the very top of my favorite crockpot chicken recipes, right next to Salsa Chicken.
Can You Put Raw Chicken in a Crock-Pot?
Yes, you can cook raw chicken in a crockpot. This is safe to do and frequently called for in many recipes. This slow cooker chicken breast recipe is completely safe to cook with raw chicken.
How To Make Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
The crockpot meal prep for this recipe couldn't be easier! Like many chicken and rice dishes, the number of ingredients isn't overwhelming.
- Start by spraying your crockpot with a cooking spray.
- Then toss in the brown rice, carrots, green onions, and mustard. Cooking rice in Crock-Pot right along with the chicken infuses flavors throughout each and every bite.
- Remove any skin on the chicken breasts and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Stir and then toss in the chopped chicken breasts. Add in your seasonings, and pour the chicken broth in.
- Cover and cook on high as directed in the recipe card. Then toss in the frozen peas, and yogurt, and stir to combine with the cooking chicken. Cook another 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, garnish and serve up a tasty chicken with rice and vegetables.
What To Serve With Chicken And Rice
- Homemade bread or dinner rolls
- Green side salad
- Vegetable side dish
This chicken and rice is a meal in one essentially. But, feel free to pair it with any and all of your favorite side dishes.
Alternative to Greek Yogurt
If you are not a fan of Greek yogurt you can use classic plain yogurt or even sour cream as an alternative to mixing in.
The Greek yogurt is a healthier alternative as you gain some good protein, but feel free to swap it out if you would like.
Can You Leave Cheese Out Of Recipe
If you want you can leave out the cheese at the end. We love the cheesy flavor but it will taste just as tasty without stirring it in. Either way, this crockpot chicken and rice recipe is delicious.
Can you cook raw chicken and rice together?
You can safely cook raw chicken and rice together in your slow cooker. The two will cook up nicely together, and it will help add flavor and depth to your chicken and rice recipe.
- Meal prep containers - we love these meal prep containers for make-ahead and freezer meals. The size is perfect for putting up single-serving lunch and dinner meals.
- CrockPot - This is the best size crockpot for a wide range of meals. Its 8-quart size is ideal, and it also comes with a mini crockpot. We love it for our salsa chicken, mac and cheese, and buffalo chicken dip.
- CrockPot liners - Use these liners to prevent messes in your crockpot and make kitchen clean-up so much easier.
- Cajun bouillon cubes - These flavorful bouillon cubes are excellent for adding zest to casseroles like this one, as well as soups and stews.
Why Use Brown Rice In Casserole
- Brown rice is heartier so it will hold up better for a longer cook time in the crock pot. Whereas if you used white rice you might find it breaks down a bit more and can become mushy.
- Also, brown rice has more fiber and protein. So you can create a healthier version of a classic chicken and rice recipe.
- This is one recipe that needs to be cooked on high, due to the rice. If you cook it on low, it will make your rice mushy.
- You can always cook without the rice on low heat for the day. Then when you get home stir in cooked brown rice and the yogurt, and then stir in cheese.
Storing And Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
If you like to meal prep you can indeed use this rice and chicken dish to store for grab-and-go meals for lunches or dinner.
In terms of storage, it will store for around three days in the fridge. You can warm up in the microwave, skillet, or cover in aluminum foil and heat in the oven. We love these single-serving meal prep airtight containers.
If you find the texture is thicker, add a bit of stock in to help add moisture to your chicken and rice.
ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
Easy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 8-ounce baby carrots sliced into thirds
- 1 bunch green onion, diced
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenderloin
- 1 Cajun bouillon cube
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Coat your crockpot with a nonstick baking spray.
- Add the brown rice, baby carrots, green onions, and Dijon mustard. Stir to combine.
- Add the chopped chicken tenders on top of the rice mixture.
- Add the garlic powder, thyme, salt, smoked paprika, Cajun bouillon cube, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the chicken broth into the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Add in the peas and Greek yogurt, and stir to
- Cover and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes on low.
- Add the cheddar cheese to the slow cooker chicken and rice and stir to combine.
- Garnish crockpot chicken casserole with fresh parsley as desired.
Variations to this slow cooker chicken and rice recipe include: adding extra frozen mixed vegetables and using a different type of cheese. Pair with steamed broccoli.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
PARTY HIPPO Meal Prep Containers Single Lids, 24 oz 20 Pack, Food Storage Bento BPA Free | Stackable | Reusable Lunch Boxes, Microwave/Dishwasher, Freezer Safe,Portion Control (24 OZ 20 PACK)
Crockpot Large 8 Quart Slow Cooker with Mini 16 Ounce Food Warmer, Stainless Steel
Extra Large Slow Cooker Liners Fits Up To 7-8 Quart Crock Pots 40 Ct
Amount Per Serving Calories 509Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 163mgSodium 719mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 46g
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!