Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Looking for a Christmas cake recipe? Here is the best gingerbread cake recipe! This is an Instant Pot cake recipe that is loaded with warm ginger flavors, and the perfect fall cake to make up for your family or guests.
Serve this as a Thanksgiving cake or Christmas cake recipe. Or this gingerbread cake is perfect for a weekday dessert. I love the maple bourbon frosting that you spread on top of this homemade Instant Pot gingerbread cake.
Christmas Cake Supplies
- 7 inch cake pan |Use a springform pan or this 7-inch cake pan to bake up your cake. Make sure to use parchment paper on the bottom of the pan, and spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease the pan.
- Parchment paper rounds | If you bake often, parchment paper rounds are a must-have. Instead of cutting a piece of parchment paper down to fit your pan size (and wasting all the excess paper) parchment paper rounds are sized perfectly and ready to go.
- Maple extract | Unlike vanilla extract, maple extract can be more difficult to find at your neighborhood store. I tend to order maple extract and other specialty extracts on Amazon.
- Red silicone trivet | Our red silicone trivet (pictured below) is our go-to trivet for baking. It is perfectly sized to lower a cake or cheesecake down into the inner pot.
How To Make This Instant Pot Gingerbread Cake
Batter | Start by whipping up your gingerbread cake. I find that using a hand mixer or stand mixer is the best to get that smooth batter you want.
Cook | Once your batter is whipped up you will then pour into the greased pan, cover, and cook as directed in the recipe card.
Cool and Frost | Allow your cake to fully cool and then frost the cake with the maple bourbon cake.
Maple Bourbon Frosting for Fall Cake Flavor
The maple bourbon frosting for fall really helps adds tons of flavor to this cake. Then you top with chopped nuts and slice into this decadent dessert.
It is so easy to make and really adds tons of flavor to the cake, that helps it to stand out.
Variation To Christmas Cake Recipe
- Top with a cream cheese frosting instead of the maple bourbon cake.
- Skip frosting and dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream.
- Stir in some nuts to the batter or even a few chocolate chips for added flavor.
Craving More Holiday Desserts
- Carrot Cake Truffles | I love carrot cake around Thanksgiving time, the warm spices and carrots are a favorite of mine.
- Pumpkin Cake With Caramel | If you love pumpkin this cake is a must make. Tons of flavor in every decadent bite of this pressure cooker cake recipe.
- Caramel Pecan Cheesecake | If you love cheesecake try out this caramel pecan cheesecake. Tons of flavor, creamy velvety texture with sweet caramel and pecans.
- Creme Brulee | Another popular dessert is this creme brulee. The Instant Pot simplifies your dessert needs this season.
Best Way To Store Gingerbread Cake
Due to the frosting, I find storing this cake is best when stored in the refrigerator. Make sure to use an airtight container and store for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Then slice, serve chilled, or allow it to warm up a bit on the counter.
In terms of freezing, you can freeze your leftover cake. Just place in a proper freezer container and freeze for up to three months. I pre-slice the cake and then that way when I want a slice I just remove it straight from the freezer.
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below!
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup boiling hot water
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Maple Bourbon Frosting
- Cream butter and sugar and then whisk in egg and molasses.
- Stir in the maple extract and sweetened condensed milk. Stir to combine and then add in the flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon to the bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Pour in the hot water and whisk.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Spray a 7” springform pan or cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the cake pan with round parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour batter into the pan. Cover the pan with foil and lower it into the
Instant Pot using a sling or trivet with handles.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set for manual high pressure cooking time of 60 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot cooking time finishes, do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cake from the instant pot and let it cool completely on a cooling rack before adding frosting.
- In a small bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Cover, and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Once the cake cools, add frosting and sprinkle with pecans.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 654Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 473mgCarbohydrates: 81gFiber: 3gSugar: 52gProtein: 7g