Are you craving a classic chicken gyro with a homemade tzatziki sauce? This is one of my favorite Instant Pot chicken gyros recipes that gives you that authentic flavor you are craving.
Table of contents
- Instant Pot Chicken Gyro Recipe
- How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Gyros
- What is Tzatziki Sauce?
- Easy Homemade Greek Salsa to Pair with Chicken Gyros
- Kitchen Supplies for Chicken Gyros
- What to Serve With These Gyros
- Storing Chicken Gyro Leftovers
- Ways To Use Leftover Chicken Gyro Tzatziki Sauce
- Here are more chicken Instant Pot recipes to try out
Instant Pot Chicken Gyro Recipe
Here is an easy sandwich gyro recipe you can make at home and pair with a warm pita and top with fresh greens, sliced onions, and slather on the perfect amount of tzatziki sauce.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Gyros
Start by adding your chicken to the buttermilk marinade. Just mix garlic, buttermilk, lemon juice, oregano and pepper together. Store in the fridge for 2 hours before you cook.
While your chicken is marinating I go ahead and make the salsa and the sauce and store in the fridge as well.
When you are ready to cook, you will add oil to the Instant Pot. Cook the chicken 3 minutes per side, or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature.
Once the chicken is done, remove and clean the pot. Then you will add your pitas to the Instant Pot on the keep warm setting to help warm them up.
Then when the pitas are warmed through, you will assemble your gyros to your liking.
What is Tzatziki Sauce?
This Tzatziki sauce is made with grated cucumbers. Some recipes use Greek yogurt and others use sour cream. You make a creamy based sauce that you will store in the refrigerator to marinade flavor.
Easy Homemade Greek Salsa to Pair with Chicken Gyros
Another stand out item for this recipe is the homemade Greek salsa. Fresh vegetables get chopped up and poured into a bowl and mixed with some spices and then you can use this to top your chicken gyros as well.
It adds even more flavor to the dish, which makes it stand out and become crave-worthy after your first bite.
Kitchen Supplies for Chicken Gyros
- Meat thermometer | Meat thermometers are essential in a kitchen in order to prevent food-born illnesses. Always check meat for doneness by checking the internal temperature.
- Cheesecloth | A much under-utilized kitchen tool, cheesecloth has many uses. It is used in this recipe to squeeze the excess liquid from the grated cucumber. In much the same way, it can also be used to remove liquid from cooked spinach for Greek Spinach Pie (Spanakopita).
- Vegetable grater | We use the vegetable grater in this recipe to grate the cucumber. It can also be used for many other ingredients, from carrots, to zucchini, to cheese.
- Small bowl | An assortment of glass mixing bowls is really essential for cooking. We highly recommend glass mixing bowls because they can go from microwave to refrigerator with ease. Versatility is key to keeping your kitchen necessities to a minimum.
- Taco/gyro holders | This makes assembling the gyros (or tacos) so much easier because you can add ingredients without holding the pita bread in your hand.
What to Serve With These Gyros
This is one recipe that pairs gorgeously with couscous or even a traditional Greek green salad. Or even just a side of chips or french fries makes a great side dish to go along with these homemade gyros.
Storing Chicken Gyro Leftovers
The one thing to remember is if you have leftovers make sure to store all the items separated from each other. The sauce needs to be in its own container, salsa in another and the chicken can be stored alone.
If you assemble and refrigerate the gyros together, it will make the pita bread soggy. It will become mushy when you go to eat it. So make sure to save all items in different containers.
Ways To Use Leftover Chicken Gyro Tzatziki Sauce
- Use as a dip for crisp vegetables
- Spread on sandwiches in replace of say mayo or mustard
- Drizzle over couscous or even rice as a flavored side dish
Essentially you can use this sauce for anything that sounds good. We love using it as a vegetable dip. It is so addictive!
Here are more chicken Instant Pot recipes to try out
- Instant Pot Chicken Recipes | Here is a large list of all the most popular chicken recipes to be made in your electric pressure cooker.
- Shredded Buffalo Chicken | Love a little spice to your chicken? This buffalo chicken is great to make and serve up for dinner or as party food.
- Chicken Teriyaki with Mushrooms | Savory and loaded with tons of flavor. Whip up this chicken teriyaki with mushrooms and serve over a bed of rice.