Sharing is caring!
You’ll never think of Brussels sprouts the same again! This cheesy Instant Pot recipe combines two types of cheese with Brussels sprouts, butter, and heavy whipped cream to make a creamy side dish that the whole family will love. We can't get enough of these cheesy Brussels sprouts.
From figuring out how long do Brussel sprouts take to cook to variations on other ways to cook Brussel sprouts, we've got you covered.
This recipe works for either Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi Brussel sprouts, or you can use any other electric pressure cooker.
Table of contents
- Supplies and Equipment Used to Make Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- What pairs well with Brussel sprouts?
- How do you get the bitterness out of Brussel sprouts?
- How do you know when Brussel sprouts are done?
- More Instant Pot Side Dishes
- Can you put cream in Instant Pot?
- How do I Make Instant Pot Cheesy Brussels Sprouts?
- Brussels sprouts
- cream cheese
- heavy whipped cream
- cheddar cheese
Supplies and Equipment Used to Make Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts
- Instant Pot - Make sure you select an Instant Pot that has all the functions you plan to use. For example, if you plan to make Instant Pot yogurt or sous vide chicken breast, you will need specific functions. If you're only making other Instant Pot side dishes, Instant Pot hard boiled eggs or a baked ziti recipe, you can use any Instant Pot for those type of recipes.
- Steamer basket - From vegetables to 5 5 5 boiled eggs, you'll love how much a steamer basket comes in hand.
- Steam diverter - Making Brussel sprouts in Instant Pot, or any other recipe will result in a lot of steam being released at the end of the cooking cycle. If your Instant Pot is kept on the counter under your cabinets, a steam diverter comes in handy to point the steam in a different direction.
- Casserole dish for serving - Our Creamy Brussel Sprouts recipe could be served straight from the inner pot, or you could transfer it to a serving dish to bring to the table.
What pairs well with Brussel sprouts?
This instant pot side dish works well for any meal you have planned. Chicken breast, steak, salmon, you name it. This delightful side dish will be perfectly paired with your favorite main dish.
A perfectly seasoned grilled chicken or steak work well to enjoy with a bowl of cheesy instant pot Brussel sprouts.
How do you get the bitterness out of Brussel sprouts?
Some people have said that sautéing Brussel sprouts with a bit of brown sugar instead of boiling them can help get the bitterness out of Brussel sprouts.
With my Instant Pot Cheesy Brussels Sprouts, you’ll find that the cheddar and cream cheese blended with heavy cream makes for no bitterness.
You’ll taste so much creamy cheese that you’ll honestly forget there are Brussels sprouts in this Instant Pot side dish.
How do you know when Brussel sprouts are done?
I use this steamer basket to cook Brussels sprouts, and love it. You can see it in the pictures below.
More Instant Pot Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Homemade Hamburger Helper with Cheese
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Green Beans
Can you put cream in Instant Pot?
Yes, you can put cream in the Instant Pot. For this recipe, you’ll find that you’ll combine cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, cheddar cheese, and other ingredients for just 3 minutes in your Instant Pot.
This will not allow enough time for the cream in the Instant Pot to curdle.
Some dairy won’t fare well in your Instant Pot, such as milk. It’s best to read the instructions for all Instant Pot side dish recipes ideas before adding in any extra dairy that’s not listed on the ingredients.
This will help you determine what you can put into the Instant Pot recipe or not.
The heavy whipped cream is what helps add an extra level of creaminess to this recipe. If you want the sauce to be thinner, reduce the cream cheese. If you want the sauce to be thicker, increase the cream cheese slightly.
You can play around with the cream cheese measurement to get the perfect-for-you cheesy texture with this Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts recipe.
Consider adding bacon! I’ve heard that adding some bacon pieces to this Cheesy Brussels Sprouts recipe will add an extra flavor kick. I know many of you out there are thinking what I’m thinking, bacon makes everything better.
You can sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese atop your Cheesy Brussels Sprouts for an added flavor touch before serving in a side dish to family.
Another add in option is to add a little garlic into the mix before placing your Cheesy Brussels Sprouts ingredients into the Instant Pot.
One pound of Brussel sprouts will equal about 24 sprouts. However, that will vary depending on the size of the Brussel sprouts.
Pressure cooker Brussel sprouts
Instant Pot saute
How long to cook Brussel sprouts will depend on the method you use to make this Instant Pot Brussel sprouts recipe. Our recipe calls for a 3 minute pressure cooking time, followed by making the cheese sauce with the saute function. Sprouts timings will vary depending on cooking methods.
Steaming Brussel sprouts without the cheese sauce? You can steam them for 3 minutes in a pressure cooker.
Cooking on the stovetop? You'll want to boil the Brussel sprouts for 4-5 minutes, or until they are fork-tender.
Not making pressure cooker Brussel sprouts this time? You can boil or saute Brussel sprouts.
How do I Make Instant Pot Cheesy Brussels Sprouts?
Now that you’ve read all you need to read about this delicious Instant Pot side dish, it’s time to gather your ingredients and make your own bowl of Cheesy Brussels Sprouts.
Feel free to print the recipe card below so you can reference the step by step instructions and ingredient list to whip up this cheesy side dish tonight.
Tools and Equipment Used to Make Cheesy Brussel Sprouts Instant Pot Recipe
Ingredients for Cheesy Brussel Sprouts Recipe
How to Cook Fresh Brussel Sprouts with Cheese Sauce
- Rinse the Brussels sprouts. Put them in a steamer basket and then into the inner pot of the Instant Pot with 1 cup of water.
- Close the instant pot lid and turn the pressure valve to seal. Cook on manual high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Allow for a quick pressure release.
- Remove the Brussel sprouts from the inner pot and drain the water.
- Add the cream cheese and butter to the Instant Pot and melt on saute mode. Then, add in the cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Next, mix in the heavy cream.
Other Ways to Cook Brussel Sprouts in Instant Pot
- Sous vide Brussel sprouts
- Cheesy Brussel sprout bake
- Steamed Brussel sprouts recipe
- Crispy Brussel sprouts with bacon - this is an easy recipe to make. It's simply sauteed Brussel sprouts with bacon. Or, mix it up and make Brussel sprouts with bacon and garlic.
Can I Use a Different Type of Pressure Cooker for This Recipe?
Yes! By all means, make this a Brussel sprouts Ninja Foodi recipe or use any other type of electric pressure cooker to make Brussel sprouts.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
FE Casserole Dish wiht Lid, 2 Quart Ceramic Bakeware with Lace Emboss for Dinner, Banquet and Party
Silicone Steam Release Diverter Accessory - Compatible With Instant Pot DUO, DUO Plus, Nova Plus, Smart, Fits Mini, 3-Qt 5-Qt 6-Qt 8-Qt 10-Qt IP - Cover Pressure Valve To Vent Instapot Steam (Black)
Instant Pot Official Silicone Steamer Basket, Compatible with 6-Quart and 8-Quart Cookers, Green
Instant Pot Duo Crisp Pressure Cooker 11 in 1, 8 Qt with Air Fryer, Roast, Bake, Dehydrate and More
Amount Per Serving Calories 264Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 63mgSodium 306mgCarbohydrates 8gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 2gSugar 3gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 10g
Jessica McCoy is a seasoned food blogger with 14+ years of experience in the industry. As a self-taught home cook, she enjoys creating and finetuning easy recipes that are fool proof and simple for anyone to make. Her expertise is in all things kitchen: cooking tips, air fryer recipes, Instant Pot and other pressure cooking recipes, and slow cooker recipes. Jessica was the previous owner of AllSheCooks, where she focused on easy every day recipes including budget friendly dinner recipes and desserts.
Sharing is caring!